Health Essentials – The Importance of Calcium


“When you choose supplementation it’s important that you consider comprehensive formulation that will optimize mineralization and ensure proper calcium use.” Dr Myron Wentz

Calcium is the main element used for bone mineralization, which gives rigidity to bone and is the most abundant mineral in the body. Every cell in your body needs calcium for proper functioning of the heart, muscles and nervous system as well as for formation of new bone tissue.

The bones and teeth act as holding vaults storing 99% of the calcium in the body. The remaining 1% of calcium is found in extra cellular fluids and within the cell and the cell membrane. When blood levels of calcium decline, the bones release their stores of calcium to supply the soft tissues. If people don’t get enough calcium from their diets the result can be a net loss of calcium and a low bone density.

Obtaining adequate amounts of calcium for bone health is more critical for certain groups, such as females in both the adolescent and post-menopausal age ranges. When you choose supplementation however, it’s important that you consider comprehensive formulation that will optimize mineralization and ensure proper calcium use.

For example, calcium in the diet would be almost useless without vitamin D. Vitamin D is essential for proper absorption of calcium from the gastrointestinal tract into the blood stream where it becomes available for bone formation. Vitamin D also helps retrieve calcium from the kidneys before it is excreted in the urine.

Magnesium may be just as important to bone health as calcium is. Magnesium is part of the mineral component of bone matrix and also stimulates the production of calcitonin. Calcitonin is a hormone that increases calcium levels in the bone and prevents calcium from being diverted into other parts of the body. Magnesium also helps to reduce acid levels in the body. High blood acid levels can contribute significantly to mineral loss by the bones.

Vitamin C promotes the growth and maintenance of healthy bones as well as teeth, gums, ligaments and blood vessels. Boron and Silicon also play roles in the mineralization of bone, and silicon provides stability to all the connective tissues of the body.

Finally vitamin K works synergistically with vitamin D to promote bone density. Vitamin K also positively affects calcium balance and stimulates the production of osteocalcin a calcium binding protein. That may sound like a lot of different nutrients taking part in maintaining the skeletal system but the fact is that optimal nutrition by itself is not enough to ensure healthy bone structure. You also need physical exercise….. (and that will be discussed with our expert Clare Bayley in the next post)


Recent Posts